Oregon, July 2016

Oregon, July 2016

Sunday, January 8, 2012

A week of home cooked meals

Well, we squeezed in a bunch of meals this week. Not everything was picture worthy. Let's see, we had Chili Corn-chip pie that Tim really liked but I thought was not interesting enough to make again; a turkey chowder made with the Thanksgiving turkey leftovers (from the freezer): that one was worth the effort; a Butternut Squash-Black bean salad that should have been a main entree, but Tim insisted we eat with some Chipotle Chicken. We both agreed the squash-bean salad was repeatable for company even, especially hearty enough for vegetarian friends. While we enjoyed some chipotles in our meatballs last week, which were not spicy at all to me (only one chile in the whole recipe), Tim convinced me to put several chiles in the chicken recipe. Turns out they ARE spicy if you use more than one...especially if you use 5!! Drat. I'd follow the recipe if you are mild of tongue.

Tonight was a very quick and easy and pretty tasty enchilada casserole, that even Lucy ate some of. We dressed it up with a salad.

Ooh, did I tell you about the grapefruit pound cake?? So yummy! Easy, Light, and a crowd pleaser. So moist. Apparently Grapefruits are in season. There are no chunks of grapefruit in case you are scared. (My sister misunderstood, then was pleasantly surprised!) Grapefruit rind in the cake, and a reduced grapefruit juice/powdered sugar glaze. Tim just finished it off, and told me to be sure to keep that recipe.

So far this week: Tortellini Soup. Which we were too hungry to photograph.

Since I've taken like 3 days to create this post, I've made one more winner.... Bacon and Butternut squash pasta. oh my yummyness. Tim loves bacon, so I doubled it. (Well I halved the recipe except for the bacon!) Pretty easy to make, especially if you are able to buy prechopped butternut squash, like we have at trader joe's.

3 comments:

  1. I bought stuff to make that butternut squash bacon pasta bake for us this week too - God bless CL!! ha ha Glad you liked it, I have to whip it up on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know the butternut squash pasta was good.... I saw that one in CL and want to try it (especially since I still have a kale forest in my front yard). I bought a package of pancetta at TJ''s and think I'm going to try it with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm, it was even good as leftovers. go generous on the kale, and i bet pancetta would be good too!

    ReplyDelete