Oregon, July 2016

Oregon, July 2016

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

It's a Boy!!

What a relief! At 18 weeks we had our standard 2nd trimester hospital ultrasound. While all the organs and bones and measurements were perfect (THANK YOU!!), he did not fully show his parts enough to convince the tech that he was truly a boy. She gave him a "70%" assurance. Seeing as it's already a 50/50 chance anyway, 70% didn't feel that confident! Once I got over the idea that it might not be a girl, (we had wanted a girl since we know what to do with a girl, and still had all these cute clothes), I got excited thinking about a boy. A little Timmy. However, there was enough of a doubt, that kept me worried about buying any truly boy clothes, etc. There was no need for another ultrasound medically, so we had to wait. I thought it would be fine to wait till further in my pregnancy and see if a medical need arose (hoping it wouldn't of course), until a friend reminded me that it might get harder to see the gender the bigger baby got and was all squished up in a ball. I don't know if that's true, but it sounded reasonable. So, we decided to go ahead and schedule an appt with a private ultrasound place to get another look. It is a place that does the fancy 3D (they claim 4D whatever that means), but they also just do regular 2-D "gender checks" that just take a few minutes. We decided it was worth the cost of the test, for some chance at certainty. It was clear within about a minute that he was a boy!! Now I can fully engage in name decisions, and all those boy clothes and baby books, etc. Yay.

When I was pregnant with Lucy, I worked the same amount I am working now! WHAT? Wow, what did I do with all my free time? I day dreamed, knitted, slept, (I know the house wasn't any cleaner than it is now), shopped, snacked (hence the nearly 50 pound weight gain). There has been no time for any of that with this one. I barely get to my appointments, and document my weight gain on a dorky calendar I bought. Today is a rare day where I am on call, so I kept the nanny, and am hibernating in my room. I'm doing some planning, have the knitting ready to go, and plan to take a nap once my eyes get too heavy to do much more. For a few short hours I can give our boy the attention he deserves. The "only child" attention. He's kicking back, clearly happy with the arrangement. I had some white yarn leftover that I used to start a hat for this baby a while back. It's nearly done, but it's not very boyish. I'm eager to take a look around and try and find a do-able (so maybe socks or hat or VERY simple sweater) boyish project to make. Tim asked me if he's going to be a Mama's boy. I hope not......or do I? :-)

Oh, one more thing. Last week the Chinese celebrated the New Year...the year of the Dragon! Apparently it is very good luck to have a baby in the year of the dragon, especially a BOY baby. I don't believe in luck or dragons, but I do feel very thankful to be giving birth (Lord willing) to a healthy baby boy in less than 4 months. I hope he comes with a name!

1 comment:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Mamas and boys are pretty special. Well, until they are about 5 ... and then suddenly your kisses and hugs are totally not at all cool ... until about age 8 or so. (at least that's my ongoing experience.)
    What an honor that you will have the blessing of raising both a boy and a girl! I've heard they are quite different. But I'm sure you and Tim will be fantastic in the journey with both! How exciting!!
    Hugs--Valerie

    ReplyDelete