Boy the biggest scare possibly ever in my life!
Last week I realized Lucy could lock/unlock the deadbolt on the front door. oopsie number 1. A few days later she decided to follow her dad to the gym, without him knowing it. I knew he had just left and she was downstairs saying goodbye. Suddenly I heard the door open again (I thought it was Tim forgetting something) but then suddenly I hear her calling "Daddy Daddy", out in the courtyard!! I yelled for her, and attempted to hobble as fast as I could downstairs. Luckily she was already heading back asking where Daddy was. A scolding about going outside alone was initiated and seemed to be understood. I told Tim when he got home what had happened. We gotta get one of those childproof door knob blockers.
Back up a few months ago when during one of her night time wake ups, included her yelling "Mommy, Daddy, where are you!??!" We woke up and found her downstairs in the dark. We weren't sure if she was awake and thought we were downstairs, or if she was sleepwalking. She hadn't done it since, so it was a little off my radar.
Ok, Sunday morning, Lucy wakes up, comes in our room, sleepily asks us to take off her diaper, but then instead of climbing in bed with us, goes downstairs. Tim and I were slowly waking up, but were just going to head downstairs when all of a sudden I hear "Mama Mama" that we both swear sounded like it was coming from outside. "OH MY GOD, LUCY'S OUTSIDE" I shout....and Tim flew....literally flew (I don't know how he did that) down the stairs. I ran to the window to see if I could see her (our bedroom window looks out over the common driveway, which of course there are 5 garages, plus the alley on one side and the stairway down to the street on the other side). I can't see her, so I panic-ly yell out the window "LUCY?!" and in response I hear "Mama....Mama" that totally sounds like her, but it sounds farther away, like she went down the stairs towards the sidewalk. She must be sleepwalking is my only explanation. Tim should be flying out the front door, what's taking him so long??!!! I burst into tears, knowing I am completely helpless, and slow, and where the hell is Tim? Just as I make it to the top of the stairs, to "chase after her myself", Tim comes up the stairs, carrying Lucy. "She was just sitting on the couch"...and Lucy was giggling "Why are you crying mommy?". Then I sobbed for 10 minutes, "YOU SCARED ME!!!". Tim said he tried shouting out, "She's down here", but I guess I couldn't hear him over my own yelling out the window. Perhaps it was another child, or even our neighbor boy, but it was so "crystal clear" that it was outside and that it was her! And yet it was so unlike her.
I've never been so scared, or at least that emotionally responsive to anything that I can ever remember. Of course we got a child proof (also adult proof!!) door knob cover that day. But so help me, this is only the beginning of worries these kids will cause me! Some will be more valid or "real" than this story. Whew, that was a close one as Lucy sometimes says!!
Wednesday, May 2, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Nolan just figured out how to open the doors to the outside this fall too ... but we live out in the middle of nowhere with a LONG driveway away from the road. I can imagine you FREAKED out!! Good for you for getting child locks ASAP. It's amazing how they try to "help" when you are busy ... and it ends up giving you gray hairs wondering where they are or what they are doing. ACK!
ReplyDeleteOh My! what an emotional warm up for this month, eh?!? geez...you're not sleep-talking(yelling) are you? =)
ReplyDelete