Oregon, July 2016

Oregon, July 2016

Monday, June 7, 2010

Memorial Box Monday-Crib

I've blogged way too many thoughts about sleep, and lack thereof. I swear this is my last one. (Especially since within the last 7 days, Lucy has done every combo of sleep pattern there is: slept straight thru from 10p-6a, wide awake from 3a-7a, one nap, two naps, wake up 3x at night....I feel like I am finally to the point of not getting so worked up...that whatever comes, good or bad, tomorrow will be different!!) Anyway, one of the pieces Tim gave me in my birthday box is about sleep. You may have read in my old "wedding" blog, that those first 4 months of Lucy's life were much worse than they are now. She did everything else (eat, play, smile, laugh, be incredibly adorable) perfectly, except sleep. It started out just us rocking her to sleep, like all good newborns need. Then she progressed to only sleeping in the bouncy/vibrating chair, and then the transition had to be just right, or she'd wake up. Daytime naps were nonexistent unless held in the bjorn carrier, and even then we'd have to be in constant motion. Of course we tried using her crib and various other paths, to no avail. Some sleep was better than none.

The day was fast approaching when I was to be going back to work. (I had a generous 18 weeks off). Chrissie, well trained and trusted, committed to being our nanny. Despite having a trusted friend being my daughter's 3rd caretaker, I was still trying to figure out an "excuse" for me to postpone going back!! (I only work 3 days a week as it is.) I knew that as much as Chrissie loved Lucy, she would not tolerate carrying her around in a bjorn "all day". And I hated the idea of Lucy "crying it out", especially without me here. So basically the week before I had to go back, I tried again for a nap in her crib. To my surprise and shock, she stayed asleep when I transferred her from Bjorn to crib. Then another nap she just fell asleep after putting her in her crib. I think we did a practice run of Chrissie watching her for a few hours while I went shopping or something, and she slept for Chrissie too, without much fuss. Somehow, I believe the combination of a new caregiver, proper developmental age (being able to roll onto her tummy which she prefers to sleep on), a fancy big crib, and God's hand, my daughter learned to put herself to sleep. At least for naps. And that's all I asked for. My first week back at work was smooth as silk. I didn't even cry!!!! It may not sound like much, but to a worried, sleep deprived mama and dada, this really was nothing short of perfect, miraculous timing. SLEEPING IN HER CRIB!!! What a concept!! (Did I forget to mention we were also asking her to sleep in her crib at night, instead of the bedside basket in our room??!! What upheaval!)

I have her on the moniter right now, watching her as she's playing/fighting sleep in her big old crib. She has to get in just the right spot, on her tummy, butt in the air, feet tucked under....nope, nevermind, it's time to sit up and shake her head "no no no no no". Most days she'll figure it out. Some days she'll protest it completely. Some days she'll need a little reassurance from one of us to go completely out. You just never know!! It looks like she found her corner finally, and is letting go!

And so, in our memorial box is a little crib (which looks exactly like our crib, except ours is "espresso" colored), to remind us that God cares about our sleep, and that He provided help for our little family just when we needed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment