Oregon, July 2016

Oregon, July 2016

Monday, June 28, 2010

Memorial Box - Good Old Mac

This is post 3 of 4 of the "birthday to birthday series" of my memorial box stories!

So we last left our star crossed "lovers" ("likers?") in a dinner date, but definitely not "going steady" kind of dating. (is this the Brady Bunch??) Anyway, so I had this old Macintosh computer, seriously from like the 90s (which is old for computers!) It belonged originally to my friend's ex-husband, but she somehow had it stored away in her closet!! She MAILED the gigantic thing to me from California, because I didn't feel I could afford one of those new fandangled computers, (nor would I know how to work it, or which one to pick, etc) when all I wanted was email access at home. I had it on my desk for a couple of weeks, not knowing how to get past step one from the manual I got from the internet company. None of the terms seemed to match up. I called the geek squad at the apple store, and I basically had to take it in. This thing must have weighed 30 pounds (??am I exaggerating?), I did NOT want to huff it in there, plus didn't I need to be hooked up to my internet? I don't know, I still don't know how that thing worked.

So I had been complaining about this computer to my small group, and saying "surely someone in this group knows something about computers!!" No one volunteered except Tim. After group, he went to my computer, and did some kind of voodoo to get it up and running. I remember sitting there beside him, trying to absorb what he was doing, in case I had to re-do it myself later, but basically being in awe of his genius. He was trouble shooting and problem solving like crazy (it WAS complicated)...and then suddenly, I noticed he was wearing a very nice white shirt, that he looked VERY handsome in!! I had a sudden urge to hug him (to thank him for helping me, and to get a "feeling" of the muscles I knew he had under that shirt!! He had shown me a picture of himself shirtless in Costa Rica summer 2002...he was very proud of his "buffness" from back then! It seemed completely inappropriate at the time he showed me....but suddenly I wasn't so offended!!) I restrained myself, mostly because I didn't want to scare him off! I shook off the hormone rush, and he carried on with his tasks.

The next morning I used my "new" working computer to email the group that Tim had fixed my computer. The subject line was "declaration", sent June 16, 2006:

I hereby officially proclaim that Tim Tien is my hero! He managed to get my internet connection going within 30 minutes, and I have no idea what he clicked on….mystery man!! Thanks Tim.


I was definitely trying to "flirt" a little, and praise him for taking the time to help me. He got nothing in return for his work.....or DID HE??!!! I guess you could say he got a wife, and the cutest baby in the world....eventually!! hehe.

In our box, is a little computer (tv maybe, but the computer was seriously as big as a tv); Tim likes me to remember all the acts of service he did for me to woo me (there is a long list, starting with that computer!), and I like to remember it as the first time I had a bit of physical attraction towards him!

This is a exactly what my computer looked like:

No comments:

Post a Comment