Oregon, July 2016

Oregon, July 2016

Monday, May 25, 2015

Thoughts from the Spa-on my 42nd birthday

So I'm lying there on the massage table, about half way thru the luxurious treat on my 42nd birthday. I used to get them more frequently when I had insurance that covered them. Tim's insurance does not. So it is a treat. My last one was on my last birthday! Anyway, it is a luxury even if at times it has been medically necessary. It's dark, there is rain-forest type flute music chirping in the background. It's supposed to be relaxing and "other worldly" right? It got my mind to thinking. Boy this is nice. This is a treat. Wow, not everyone gets this special time. Duh, not everyone has enough food to eat. Some are slaves or fighting for their lives! Gosh, I'm a princess in the land of riches. And it's a little un-nerving. It's a little "Debbie Downer". But it's important to "go there" sometimes. More often than I do.

It got me thinking about "what could I do to make the world a better place?" (besides raising the 2 most awesomest kids?) I think about the question that has been asked of me, "What excites you? What makes you get out of bed every morning?" I don't know! These days, Henry kicking me in the head is why I get up. Excitement comes in the form of new growth on a vegetable plant. Henry eating the snap peas that we are growing ourselves! A story read in our school time. Henry quoting something new about the universe! (We got him a shirt that had planets on it, and he wore it today. He asked "Is this Jupiter? Where is the Great Red Spot?" It wasn't that obvious on the shirt. We might have to return it!) It's meeting up with old and new friends, finding common ground and a common voice that tells me I am understood. Nothing earth shattering. And maybe "exciting" is a bit hyperbolic. I lay there wondering, is there any excitement in my life?? The kind that bears fruit, not just a giggle or a "like" inducing post on Facebook.

I drifted in and out of actual thoughts, but as the therapist worked on my scalp, which I knew were the final moments, the music became obvious and familiar. Instead of background music, the lyrics that are set to an Irish tune filled up my mind. Be Thou My Vision. WHAT? This is on the relaxing, amazon jungle rainforest cd? Yep. Several verses. No lyrics of course, but I was impressed and pleased that my time of contemplation ended with one of my favorite hymns.

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart; Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art; Thou my best Thought, by day or by night, Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word; I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord; Thou my great Father, I Thy true son; Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight; Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight; Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tow’r: Raise Thou me heav’nward, O Pow’r of my pow’r.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise, Thou mine Inheritance, now and always: Thou and Thou only, first in my heart, High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won, May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heav’n’s Sun! Heart of my own heart, whate’er befall, Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.


That's it. So simple. A work in progress. Be Thou my BEST thought, by day or by night!

1 comment:

  1. I came to the blog looking for some particular information (Christmas-related), and as I was looking, I came across this, which I had never read before. Why didn't you post the link? This is a great song and a great post!

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete