Oregon, July 2016

Oregon, July 2016

Monday, June 8, 2015

It's my gift.

I notice things. It's my gift. I walked out of Gymboree at the mall (because yes, we need one more bathing suit for the darlings!) and directly in front of the store I noticed an old man sitting in a massage chair, asleep. In front of him was a young girl in an umbrella stroller, also asleep. Off to the side but possibly part of the group was a middle aged woman in a wheelchair. Perhaps they were all together was the only real thought I had.

Walking down the length of the mall, trying to keep my two kids on track, including not running into any old people themselves, I noticed a woman and a girl standing in the middle of the "hall". She looked worried, and somewhat out of character for me I asked if she was ok. "Are you missing someone?" I don't know why I asked that. Then the panic started rising a bit, as she said, "Yes. Have you seen an old man and a little girl in pink pants?" "He's my dad and he's not right in the head, and he has my daughter. I stepped into the store for just a minute, and they're gone. They could be anywhere". Another man had stepped into the conversation at this point. I think she had asked someone to call security perhaps, just before I walked up. Finally, the scene I saw outside of gymboree flashed into my head. "I did see an old man and a girl in a stroller, asleep in some chairs back there." Her panicked voice had already risen, and yet she seemed paralyzed by this information. She was questioning if who I saw could really be her people perhaps. I explained that they were right outside of gymboree, but she needed more. "I'll walk with you. Let's go". The other man said he would stay put in case security showed up on that end of the mall. The mom walked at a normal pace. Part of me wanted her to run. Her other daughter with her, looked about 8. She said the missing daughter was only 4, but was much bigger than average. Her missing daughter is autistic. "What if she has unstrapped herself and is wandering around?" She can barely speak now, from tears and panic. As we got closer, despite people blocking I could make out familiar objects, that the mom couldn't see from her side of the walkway. "I see a stroller. I see pink pants." "YES SHE'S WEARING PINK PANTS". "Ok, she's still there, she's awake though, but they are there." We walked slightly faster and the girl looked right at her mom with a big smile, and the older sister ran to the little girl and hugged her. The mom full on sobbed. All she could say to me was "thank you...you are heaven sent. Oh my God, thank you!" I stayed with her a few moments. She seemed torn between wanting to thank me and just rejoice in finding her. I asked if she wanted me to stay with her, get her a coffee, give them privacy. She said they were going home!! I hugged her, and said something like "it's ok. she's safe". I lingered but then felt like my work here was done, so I rubbed her back, and said i was so glad they were safe, and hang in there.

My kids were silent. Once we started walking away my adrenaline kicked in. I FELT for her. I know how far away they got in her mind, and in those moments-how LONG it was before she knew the outcome. in the MALL for crying out loud! The security guard had stopped us right after I met her and was walking back with her to where I saw her people. He was not observant. Due to her crying, she was easy to spot as the one who might have lost a child. He was like "Can I ask you a few questions" thumb pointing to the opposite direction to where we were travelling. "She says she saw someone, so let me check if it's them". He says ok, but doesn't walk with us, or anything. On my way back, I saw him. He gave me a questioning thumbs up which I replied with an enthusiastic thumbs up. He gave a nod that looked like he had done something grand. The little girl HAD undone her stroller straps and was starting to get out of her stroller as we were walking up to her, so backtracking and answering the security guard's few questions might have ended up with bad timing, and a worse outcome.

It was a teaching moment for my kids. About worry, staying with your adult, see how worried that mom was, and also the physics of tears!! The flood of tears really came after she had hope, and then after she found her family. Isn't that interesting how the tears come after the good news comes?

I'm just saying. Tim thinks I'm nosy. I just notice stuff. Every once in a while it helps someone. Today was one of those blessed days that I got to see some benefit. And to think I almost didn't go shopping after lunch. PS i do believe that someone would have been a good citizen and found a wandering girl, but it might have taken a bit longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment