Oregon, July 2016

Oregon, July 2016

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Lucy's 6th birthday!

Dear Lucy,


It's almost time for your official birthday: 11:02 pm, May 12. You are 6 years old today. WOW!!! We all grow older, and it is no real shock to me that you are already 6. The shock is more that you were ever a baby, incapable of talking, of making me laugh, of understanding the ways of the world. Haven't you always been my little genius reader? My coffee date? My errand-runner pal? The little girl who shares my ice cream adoration and who has always out-eaten us in pizza? Actually, yes, you have done and been all those things (except a reader) since you were born!! Even Daddy could see that you were the most alert and amazing newborn baby ever!

We've had such a fun few days of celebrating. Saturday was your "friends party". We had your 5 current best friends over for a "Bring your doll tea party". Tea pot tablecloth, plates, napkins, bean bag toss game, and party favors. We had a craft of making a teapot, and then an actual tea party with homemade lemonade. You girls had such good manners! For dessert we had rice krispie treats (kind of shaped into teapots using cookie cutters-thanks Amy R for that gift a few years back!) and home-made ice cream cupcakes. A fun time was had by all!

Today on your actual birthday, the culmination of the past several months of saving *our change* and any gifts you got (including earning money for chores), you bought an American Girl doll! When you were 4, you heard about them, or we saw them in the store, and you wanted one. I said "when you can read the books, we'll talk". Little did I know you would become a super genius reader already. You have already read most of the American Girl series!! Including some spooky mystery titles! They are really very good books. They are your favorite by far, or all the hundreds of chapter books you have read this year. The AG series are so nice, with topics about friendship, history, culture and fun. I have definitely changed my mind about these dolls, and I appreciate the strength of character they are building in young girls everywhere (by reading the books!)

An extra treat was eating at the American Girl Bistro with mom and auntie Joanna. Yummy food, and little free gifts they gave us, and 3 ice cream cones for dessert!! Best of all Samantha had a little chair right next to you! We ended the day with Daddy and Henry at Tutta Bella pizza. yum.

and now, mere minutes away, happy 6th birthday my favorite girl in the world!! I love you more than this little blog could every portray!!

I just finished Henry's yearly update, and have to come back and finish yours. I never finished posting this because at 11:02pm you were STILL awake and needed me to settle you down for one last birthday hug. You are still so needy at bedtime. We've left you to your own ways to see what you would do, and you'll read til midnight if left to do so. Usually Daddy gets you all tucked in and asleep, but you always need someone to be in your bed with you as you fall asleep. And yes, you still wake up most nights, asking for someone to sleep with you. It's not our favorite thing about being parents, my love!

So, you've been reading fluently since last August. In addition to the many American Girl doll chapter books, you've read the unabridged Heidi at least 4 times, the Amelia Bedelia series, and lots of fairy tale/princess stories. You read, read, read all day long. When you take a brief break from reading, you still like to make artsy projects, and you've improved enough on your spelling that most of your notes are legible to the trained eye! You're always planning parties and surprises, for your dolls, or friends or Daddy. Your imagination soars, and it's such a joy to come along for the ride.

Most evenings you and Henry give us a talent show in the basement. It always starts as a ballet, both of you in costume! You both are extremely hilarious performers! You are in 3 "sports" classes this year: ballet, gymnastics and ice skating! Ballet is with your friend Rachel, and this was your 2nd year. You enjoy it, as it isn't too physically demanding. We are looking forward to your recital in 2 weeks. Let's hope I don't cry thru the whole thing like I did last year! Gymnastics was initially just something to do while I did parent/tot classes with Henry. Henry can't stand to be told what to do, so after 3 quarters of coralling him back to the group, we quit. You've continued, mostly because now your new friend Emily is in your class. This isn't your forte, but you have the sweetest coach who wants to see you succeed. Ice skating is new, since January, and frankly this seems to be your skill! You're still asking to start soccer, so perhaps we'll start that this summer or fall, instead of ballet and gymnastics. We are also planning on starting Piano lessons this summer! I say we, because I will be right next to you, learning what you learn, per the suzuki method requirements.

We have about 2 weeks worth of work left in our Kindergarten school year at home. Reading of course is by far your best and favorite. You've enjoyed spelling, and your handwriting has improved in lower case writing. You hate math, and despite your parents' exceeding skill in this topic, you haven't found the love. We've changed curriculum, and still you balk. Hoping you are just bored, or we'll keep searching for the right fit.

You are still the funniest girl on the planet. While cleaning your room the other night (you HATE cleaning!) I found a letter you had made for grandmommy. The HILARIOUS thing about this is, Grand-mommy is SCARED TO DEATH of cats!! Dear Grandmommy, or Mother G. Have a cat-terrific day!

Just tonight at dinner, you said yet again, "Wow, I can't believe I'm six. I'll never be 5 again!" Tell me about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment