Oregon, July 2016

Oregon, July 2016

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Lucy's Campout

For several days Lucy has narrowed her excitement about camping into actually making a plan. She made a list. She talked it up. And with her sweet imagination she implemented her plan. Daddy was just along for the ride.

After I put Henry to bed, I came down to a squeeling Lucy. "Mama, I had s'mores!!" That's the main reason anyone camps, right? She eagerly invited me downstairs to the basement, where everything was ready. "Oh, but I better double check my list....ahhh, yes, I almost forgot these!" (2 mini flashlights) She had laid out blankets, sleeping bags, pillows, dollies, water, bedtime books and her ladybug "moon star" nightlight. (Ladybug constellation nightlight....it lights up about a million stars all around the ceiling and nearby walls!). I was on the couch while Daddy and Lucy snuggled into their campsite. After just "one more story" 3 times, we heard a big crash in the kitchen!! I told Lucy it was likely a bear trying to eat our food, as is always the case in campouts. A short discussion on hibernation and food sources ensued. Daddy went to chase away the bear (our pizza stone that was propped up fell over onto the stove). He made it back alive, so we turned off the lights and looked up at the stars. Lucy decided she needed (and was thankful she had remembered) her flashlight cause she was s-s-s-scared. (which she is every night before bed, camping or not!) She announced that perhaps she was done camping for the night! Tim says "I've been waiting for this moment ever since we moved into this house!!" We laughed our way thru the next 60 seconds of delighting in "the stars", until Lucy called it quits. "I'm ready to sleep in my own bed now".

And we all slept cozily ever after...in our own beds, until of course everyone took turns waking me up. This is why I won't camp. If I'm not going to sleep, I want to do so in a warm house with options!!

Lucy's glad we went camping. A lifetime dream fulfilled.

1 comment:

  1. I love this story, I can picture it all :) you should come up to the camp site with us this summer, even.of you don't stay its fun just being there. And we can have s'mores

    ReplyDelete