Oregon, July 2016

Oregon, July 2016

Monday, July 9, 2012

Sing and make music in your heart

Henry got his first vaccines today, at 7 weeks (and 2 days). His immune system has received its first official jolt. (We opted out of Hep B at birth). He handled it like a trooper, and only cried for a second. He cried harder going into the doctor's office than coming out!! And this experienced mom didn't even shed a tear. A few hours later, it seemed to kick in, cause our happy little baby was fairly unconsolable. I tried giving him tylenol, and he was so mad it took him a good 5 minutes to swallow the dose. (Mind you, the communists went and changed the tylenol dosing so that a baby now has to swallow 2.5 ccs instead of 0.8 ccs. Trust me, it's a big difference. Nevermind. ) We had truly tried everything, daddy, milk, bouncing, diaper change. So after finally getting the drugs down his throat, I reswaddled him one last time, and buckled down on the bouncy pregnancy/exercise ball, prepared to zone out while he cried for 30 minutes till the tylenol kicked in. I put his ear close to my chest and prayed outloud, that his immune system would know what to do, that God's spirit would comfort his little heart in a way that even a Mama can't provide. His tears stopped and my tears started. As I thought of how true that is, that despite my good intentions, and even at my best effective parenting, no one loves him like God loves him. No one loves me like God does. His compassion runs deep. His compassion runs deep. Yes I meant to say that twice. I don't know how bad he hurts. I don't know how bad my mom feels, or my sister when their pain and sickness peaks. But HIS compassion runs deep. I started singing whatever songs and hymns that came to mind. I believe God used my prayers, my singing, His touch, and yes even the tylenol to finally bring peace to my boy, such that he could drink his bedtime meal and drift off to sleep instead of moaning in his eyes closed state.

That act of singing. It's powerful. I want both of my children to know the power of "psalms, hymns and spiritual songs" (Ephesians 5:19) to help them in their day to day life, in the highs and lows. They won't know to do that if I'm not leading them. Lucy's well on her way, by singing almost constantly. I love it. I sing to her most nights at bedtime, by her request. Sometimes she picks the songs. It can be a fun game trying to figure out what song she wants, because she often asks for them by a word or two of the song, not necessarily the title! I love it when she asks for "Lift my voice" ("I love you Lord, and I lift my voice, to worship You, oh my soul, rejoice...") or "Up above Heaven Hosts" ("Praise God from Whom all Blessings flow, Praise Him all creatures here below, Praise him ABOVE YE HEAVENLY HOSTS, Praise Father Son and Holy Ghost. AMEN")

And with that, I will drift off to to sleep....."sleep in heavenly peace". (another of Lucy's faves...all year round).

Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, Eph 5:19 NIV

1 comment: