Oregon, July 2016

Oregon, July 2016

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Favorite Thing

What am I doing blogging this early? I just spent the last hour helping Henry thru his morning reflux drama, and now that I'm wide awake, I thought I'd make a cuppa (as my friend Chrissie from England would say...as in cuppa tea), and have a minute of "me" time. They are rare around here for sure!

I've been thinking about attitude. With a 3 year old, we can easily focus on all the "bad attitude" behavior that has emerged. I think it's a combo of new brother AND turning 3, and being able to comprehend more about her opinions and how they have a say in this family. "We" are learning about how we don't always do what we want when we want, or that someone else in the family might have a need or desire that doesn't match with "our" desire at that moment. So we are not always bright sunshine and hilarity around here! (I have to admit though that even Lucy's bad attitude can make me giggle on the inside sometimes).

I started what is nicely becoming a ritual this week. At the dinner table Lucy was turning our family setting into a bit of a complaining chaos. In a God-inspired moment, I calmly asked Lucy "What was your favorite thing that happened today?" Her face lit up as if you'd given her candy. She quickly thought of something she liked about the day, and then asked Daddy what his favorite part of the day was. We all shared a round or two of favorite things (and then broke out in a chorus of "raindrops on roses...." just kidding). It changed the entire atmosphere. It helped Lucy out of her grumps, it helped me see what she liked about the day, not just what she did, and it gave me some insight into Tim's day. Usually I ask Tim "How was your day" and I get the "Okay" in an eeyore voice. And there you have it. This made us all take a moment to be thankful really, and to get a snapshot of the goodness of the day.

If I forget at dinner, I ask it at bedtime snugglin'. (Tim does her bedtime routine, and if Henry is asleep I go in for a final round of "snugglin".) Last night her second round of favorite thing was "When we saw Auntie Joanna" (which happened the day before)! She doesn't have a great sense of "time", but I'm glad that she can remember relationships in her life!!

One of my favorite things was getting a package from my cousin Kerry for Henry and Lucy. It included a frog outfit and little stuffed frog (both adorable!!). Lucy is usually involved in opening gifts, and she ALWAYS squeels "This is my favorite! I always wanted this!!" I think she truly is delighted in that moment. Anyway, many of Henry's outfits and clothes I find on her dollies and animals. Yesterday after opening the package, she kept begging to get (a sleeping) Henry out of his carseat: Big Bird needed his carseat back!! Here's a picture of Baby Big Bird dressed up in Henry's frog outfit, snapped in the carseat (Lucy did it "all by myself!") ready for an adventure!!

What was your favorite thing that happened today?

No comments:

Post a Comment