Oregon, July 2016

Oregon, July 2016

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Eat at Home Challenge: Meal One

We've been trying to make a budget (let alone stick to a budget) since before we were married. There are lots of reasons why we should be doing this, and even more reasons why we haven't done it yet!! This 3 day weekend we're supposed to "make a budget" and "make our wills". Goals we've had every weekend for 5 years!! Ha. Tim is especially concerned about the money we spend eating out, and for some reason this weekend he's declared that we need to eat at home more often (i.e. eat out less). I would have guffawed at him except that I had just gotten a new issue of Cooking Light, and it was particularly inspiring. I pulled out more than 20 recipes (only 3 of which were desserts)to try. I'm already a pretty decent cook, but I need simplicity and organization to pull it off consistently. Anyway, I'm calling it a 30 day challenge...which means Tim can't eat out at lunch either!!! He says he's up for the challenge.

Today we battled the 3 million people at the grocery store to buy the ingredients for the first 5 meals. Day one: Tortilla Meatball Soup. (linked to recipe from Cooking Light magazine, Sept 2011 issue).

And this was OUR version. (I used fritos instead of tortillas....I already had them for another recipe. I also added a dollop of plain greek yogurt...our sub for sour cream all the time, and not called for in the recipe. I also opted out of the jalapenos. Too spicy for me and Lucy.)


This won't be a food blog, but we were pleased with the recipe and the photo. My fave ingredient in this is the chipotle chiles in the meatballs. They are not spicy, and add such a nice smoky flavor. I'll keep posting if this lasts!

4 comments:

  1. Great idea! Ken and I were just talking about how for the new year he wants to eat more fruits and vegetables and I want to be better about meal planning- the missing piece to why we don't eat homecooked meals as often as I'd like. I'll be looking forward to updates on your 30 day challenge and looking here (and to Cooking Light) for inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Glad you and Tim are taking on this challenge together - now you just have to break the news to Lucy!! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumm! That looks delicious! I'm looking forward to seeing what's next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! That's one of our goals for this year too.... eating out less. I'm pretty sure E is going to make that easier though because the idea of trying to eat dinner out somewhere, nurse him, and coral R doesn't really sound like a lot of fun to me =)

    ReplyDelete