Tim's parents, Martha and George (aka Gammy and YeYe) are here for the whole month of May. What with all the birthdays and doctor's appointments and Spring events, we need their help several hours each day! To be honest, It's mostly Gammy (Grandmommy, shortened by Henry) who helps with the kids, since YeYe sleeps a lot in our basement suite (with a door to the backyard--foreshadowing!).
Gammy and I took the kids to the park this morning, with the garage door opener, something we use every day to open the garage door without difficulty. Today when we returned, with emergent needs (bathroom and nap time!), the garage door opener didn't work. After many attempts, I realized we were in trouble. We went to the back yard to bang on the door, where YeYe was most likely napping. After several minutes there was no answer. The curtains were closed, so we had no idea what was going on in there! I called Tim, at work, and asked "what do you suggest?? Can you come home?" Tim suggested, "why don't you get my mom to talk to him thru the camera?"
I have to stop here. Tim is technology guy extraordinaire! He drives me just a wee bit crazy, as he is always bringing home new stuff, and rigging my smart phone to "help" me with something that I never knew I needed. This has peaked recently when we have not one, not two, but THREE security cams that serve as baby monitor in Henry's room, trampoline watch in the basement, and who knows what in the kitchen. (we are still discussing the freakish-ness of this 3rd camera!) Anyway, it's connected to the internet, so for instance Tim can check to see if Henry is napping from work; I can keep an eye on Henry sleeping if I'm outside gardening, etc. They have 2 way sound which I have banned from use. Tim said hello to Henry thru the moniter once while I was changing his diaper, and he nearly jumped off the changing table, screaming and crying!! It has been explicitly banned!!
But now it seems genius! We got the basement on camera on my phone, and turned on the speaker, and Gammy talked into my phone, in Chinese, guiding Yeye to the back door! Luckily we saw (on camera) that he was already awake, walking back from the bathroom, because usually he sleeps thru the kids jumping and dancing and yelling in the basement! I was worried we might have to wait a couple of hours! But it only took a minute or two for Yeye to understand and follow Gammy's voice to let us in! Lucy and I were there, knocking on the door, and when he finally opened there was a look of surprise and joy on his face to see us standing there at the door!! "xie xie yeye, xie xie!!" (Thank you, grampa, thank you!) He never seemed startled that we were talking to him thru the walls!!
I guess I need to take more keys next time, and I don't get to complain about Tim's gizmo love for a few weeks!
Wednesday, May 21, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment