Oregon, July 2016

Oregon, July 2016

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Christmas Truths: Out of the mouth of Lucy

After last year's Santa debacle (see last post), I have been working hard on helping Lucy with her expectations about Santa and Christmas in general this year. I am giving her lots of tips on how to deal with disappointment; about how it's super great to get surprises and things we ask for. But it's also fun to think about other people and think about what you could give them to make them happy and surprised. I just want to try and bring down the Santa hype, without losing the fun and magic that is already there. I asked a question on Facebook: How are parents "doing" Santa? Several parents I know are choosing the Santa is pretend route. Most who are doing it are keeping it simple, often guiding the requested item to make sure the "right thing" gets on the list. If only I had that much control!!

Lucy "wrote" a pictograph letter to Santa many weeks ago. Then she asked me to dictate her list. I love this letter. It's on a giant piece of cardboard that's rolled up like a scroll (and now stuck in her stocking; apparently that is how Santa will find it this year.) I love her art work. I love that she asked for a prince costume for her friend Joshua to play with. (When I asked further about this request, because there are no decent little boy prince costumes anywhere...she said with a huff "I just want Joshua to be surprised!".) I love her generous heart, but I said that Joshua could ask Santa himself for a costume. I still may try to pull it off...not that Joshua would like it, but I think it might reward a generous spirit, which I am so pleased with! Since her list was fairly lengthy, I wanted to make sure she knew that she wasn't getting everything (possibly NOTHING) on that list. Lists are wishes and hopes, but parents can over-ride the list, or if you aren't the right age, or if Santa is simply out of stock of that item! ;) So I said we can either let Santa pick, or we could narrow down our list. She said "Well, I guess I don't need a pogo stick. I'm pretty happy just jumping on the couch." So she crossed that off and put stars next to the other things. I love that she is trying to figure this all out with her question to Santa. (the letter says, "Dear Santa I want a princess costume, and a prince costume and a pogo stick and a girl Elf. I love Christmas. Can you send us a letter and tell us if Christmas songs say real things about you? Love, Lucy"

I grew up with a fairly normal experience I think. Oh except that Santa actually came to our house once! He came on Christmas morning, brought something we asked for, gave my sister and me a finger shaking because he heard we had been fighting a lot, and left while we were still a little awed and silenced by the whole thing! (That's me kneeling on the couch.) In my mind Santa was magical, a little lower than Jesus. Believing in Santa didn't interfere with our faith...I sort of thought they were in cahoots. Jesus was all knowing, so He seemed to be the one that could tell Santa if I had been naughty or nice. When I discovered the "truth", there were no issues. I was never mad at my parents for lying to me, or anything like that. It seems very do-able to promote the magic and mystery of this jolly old Saint, AND teach about the "Reason for the Season".

Which brings me to 2 of the best stories of this week.

So that Princess DVD is now at the bottom of the request list, while the Fairy Christmas video (see Santa debacle post) has resurfaced with the other Christmas movies. Lucy has requested to watch it a few times this week. While watching the end of it, Lucy calls to me and says "Mom, these fairies are singing about the REAL reason for Christmas! Hmmm, I wonder how Santa knew to send me such a good movie?!" I smugly responded, "Maybe Santa knows more than you think he does!" Awesome.

Then today, our dear friends came over for some much needed play time and gift exchange. Lucy and Samantha, who have struggled with managing each other's dominant personalities at times, settled right in to some friendly cooperative art work time. There they were, sitting at Lucy's pink table, working diligently on their own creative processes. Not sure what instigated, if anything, but I hear Samantha tell Lucy "I love you!" Lucy immediately said "I love you too." (but wait, the beauty gets better). Lucy says "Hey, we just did what Christmas is all about....saying I love you to each other." I wanted to pick up those 2 girls and squeeze the sweet goodness right out of them, and eat it myself! Instead I just said "you're right Lucy. Loving our friends and spending time together is EXACTLY what Christmas is about".

In my mind, I decided right then and there to stop worrying if Lucy is upset if there is no prince and princess costume from Santa. That Christmas is going to be just fine. This year and every year. No matter what's under the tree or in the stocking, or from whom. Yes Lucy, that is exactly what Christmas is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment