We grew up watching Fiddler on the Roof, memorizing the music, and applying whatever sayings we could to our every day lives. We sang "dai dai dai dai, dai dai dai dai....", and attempted the Russian Dance, and of course "Sunrise, Sunset". Perhaps we even perfected our hen clucking that Tevye does at some point in his "If I were a Rich Man" number. I haven't watched the movie in years, so I am a bit rusty, but these are the types of traditions that come back (to haunt you?) when you have children!
Lucy's not old enough to watch FOTR, but we did check out a bunch of Hanukkah books from the library to read this year. (Homeschooling "requires" and "frees us up" to do whatever we want, which means learning about all kinds of things!) Anyway, Lucy's favorite was called Hanukkah Bear. Bubba Brayna can't see or hear well (at 97), and invites a hungry bear into her home on the first night of Hanukkah, thinking it is the Rabbi! Of course he eats all the latkes, and when the real Rabbi comes, along with all the villagers, they have to chip in and make more!
We were at Target this week, and like mother like daughter, Lucy decides we NEED just about everything "purty" there. (granted that's not toooo much at target!) But we passed the Hanukkah section, and she fell in love with a Menorah. She begged and pleaded to buy the purty rainbow star candle holder, and well, I said, you're right it is purty. So, we bought it. She was SOOO excited to light the Shammes, (the center helper candle)and then use it to light the 1st (of 8, nightly) candles. Since most of the books we checked out had latke recipes in them, it was also a requirement that we make some latkes. Henry loves fried potatoes, and little else, so it was kind of a no brainer. I'm sure most Jewish mothers would be appalled at our lack of accoutrements, (we used ketchup!), my little family was quite happy. Perhaps we've started a new tradition, perhaps we won't make it thru all 8 nights even remembering to light a candle. There's always next year.
Another tradition feels the need to be started, and that is being more neighborly. We have one set of neighbors that are good friends (at least the moms, and the kids are 50% of the time!), but most of our neighbors keep to themselves. I don't think they are unfriendly, I just think life doesn't permit gathering in the street to meet and greet. Lucy and I have been making these adorable little acorns (out of mini nilla wafers and hershey's kisses with a little pretzel stem, glued together with chocolate). They are just too cute, AND delicious not to share them. (we had to use the entire box of Nilla wafers, so hence the keep returning to the store to buy more kisses!) So Lucy has made some little cards, and I have packaged up little acorns, and we will go door to door to the 7 neighboring houses tomorrow and wish a little Happy Thanksgiving to those who hopefully watch out for each other. Tim is a little worried that we'll be ruining someone's holiday. I retorted with "if someone knocked on your door and offered you this little box of acorns, would you be upset?" I win. It gives me courage to try this sort of thing because we have 2 cute kids, who everyone likes, and no one would refuse a treat from! Plus I have this obligation to teach and act upon the things I want her to learn and be. She is SO excited to share these treats that she helped make. And frankly, she enjoys the creative process and is pretty sure everyone will like what she made! We did a trial run with setting out a bag of Godiva truffles and a handmade card attached (thanking them for their hard work)...for the mailman, the garbage collector, and the compost collector today. The composter seemed to take his treat. The garbage man left his on top of the empty trash can. (did he read? does he not like chocolate?). We were able to watch from our window as the mailman discovered his bag. He definitely read the note, and looked at the bag, and put it next to him. It felt like we were little elves leaving secret treats. I sure hope this can set the stage for even more opportunity for Lucy and Henry (and me too) to think of others more, and how we might do random acts of kindness all year through.
"To Life, to Life, L'Chaim. L'Chaim, L'Chaim, To LIFE!"
Wednesday, November 27, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment