Oregon, July 2016

Oregon, July 2016

Monday, October 28, 2013

What we're homeschooling...

I'm trying to compose a post about WHY I'm homeschooling, but that is a bit more laborious.  I love reading other people's list of what and how they homeschool.  Partly to get new ideas, partly to double check that I'm on a comparable path, partly because it's encouraging to know that "normal" people I know are on board with educating their kids at home.  Of course there are plenty of "normal" people I know that are choosing to educate their children in a different format, and I am by NO MEANS judging against them or their methods!! But that's for my other post.

So, in no particular order, these are the "programs" we are working on.  Lucy is 4, so nothing is "official".  (You don't have to declare anything to the government/school board until the child is 8 years old in Washington). But we try to do a little something every day during Henry's naps, and I'm practicing keeping track of it, to get a taste of what works for me.

Sonlight Pre-K (4/5).  I borrowed this curriculum from a veteran mom.  I wasn't looking for a "Christian" curriculum, but Lucy surprised me by loving it.  It's all read aloud books at this point, which Lucy would choose to do until my voice goes hoarse! There are also workbooks on problem solving and such that she enjoys plowing thru, (doing 3 weeks worth at one sitting!).  Overall it is a good place to start our journey, and I think we'll be branching out from there.

All About Reading, Level 1. Lucy sped thru the pre-reading level in a few months this spring.  Now we are slowly going thru the lessons, 4-5 days a week.  I LOVE this curriculum.  Very teacher friendly, and it makes sense so far.  Lucy likes it, in as much as she likes the success of reading, but she doesn't care to spend very long on the lessons. It doesn't appear too difficult, I think it's just she has to pay attention and she'd rathar do art work!!

I have two art programs we're working on.  Artistic Pursuits is a bit more simple projects with general skill building.  We are working on the preschool level, which may just be too easy for her.  We haven't worked too much in that recently.  Perhaps I just need to move up a level. (that is just a book that I read out of, and guide her in what to do).  I recently purchased Home Art Studio, level Kindergarten.  It's a DVD, which we both really like.  They work on skills , as well as vocabulary, art history, famous artists, etc.  They are 15-20 minute lessons, and Lucy could do one a day, or more!! I had a coupon, so I have already bought K, 1st and 2nd grades!! I won't be surprised if we are on "2nd grade level art" before her 5th birthday!

Lucy wrote her name before she was 3, and certainly knew all her letters and how to write them before 4.  But they were backwards or out of proportion etc, so I wanted something to help her practice her letters properly, without nagging.  I didn't want her to get all "stuck" with writing her letters a certain way.  So we are nearly finished with Handwriting without Tears, Kindergarten level. I have to say that there might have been some tears in the beginning, but we backed off, and she loves writing notes and letters.  If it's long (like a letter to Santa perhaps?) she will ask to dictate while I write it out!

A sweet little curriculum I found, and just HAD to add it to our fun, is Wee Folk Art.  Mostly it's a very simple themed curriculum with books to read, and then a craft, a baking/cooking item, a field trip idea or all of the above.  Again, a week's worth can be done quickly, but we like the thematic elements. We only read whatever we can check out from the library!  I freed myself (with some convincing!) to not do EVERY element to that curriculum.  It is for preschool, and runs an entire year. (This is free by the way!) These include a few of the Come Look with Me art books as well.

Speaking of Library, sometimes our only "schooling" we do for that day is read from our collection of library and personal books.  The max allowed to have checked out at one time is 50 items! Surprisingly we usually have close to our max! Here is where I sneak in math....with "living math books".  Basically story books that incorporate math concepts.  That link has hundreds of books, that I just slowly go thru and request them at the library.  I bought a special bookcase (one of those sling ones) to hold just our library books to keep them organized.  Best purchase ever! It cracks me up when I hear the "I know it's difficult but you should read to your child every day for 20 minutes." Ha, we're lucky if we get off the hook with only 60 minutes per day!!  (anything that the library doesn't have, and I feel like I really want to purchase, Rainbow Resource is a great resource that often times is cheaper than amazon! It doesn't have everything but quite a lot.  Crafts and toys too!)

Now that Henry is down to one afternoon nap a day, I thought I'd try getting them back to Chinese Class thru Sponge school.  After being reminded of the cost, especially doubling it with adding Henry, it just seemed too costly.  There isn't a ton out there for this age (besides Rosetta Stone, which could be doable maybe), which is why sponge is a great idea.  But Tim and I agreed to buy a Chinese Curriculum, kind of meant for homeschool, or at least non Chinese speaking teachers.  In short, it's a great set of little topical books with heavy focus on learning the characters as well as vocab.  I will guide some of this learning (there are audio tracks, cds, and online learning), Tim will reinforce on the weekends.  Our dear friend Sara is fluent in Mandarin, so we have "contracted" with her to come and also re-enforce and add any other tidbits/helps that she can.  Her first tutoring session is tomorrow. I am working really hard at trying to keep language learning as a priority.  This is one of Tim's priorities, even though (because?) he didn't learn it fluently, and he was raised by native speakers!!  It's not enough to have 2 chinese posters (with food and animal names) and one talking Chinese toy phone in the house!! Kai-Lan has been our biggest teacher so far!

Finally, PE: she and Henry are both in a swim class (get used to the water class), and Lucy is enrolled in a pre-ballet class.  she's only been to half a class, due to mom forgetting the start time, and 2 weeks of illness, but she loves the idea!

It sure looks like a lot, but we really just do about 6 hours a week, not counting "free reading".  That's about what preschool amounts to it seems.  She still has lots and lots of free play time, and baking with mommy time! Whew.

1 comment: