Oregon, July 2016

Oregon, July 2016

Sunday, April 22, 2012

"Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes"

It's darn near officially "nesting" time. 4 weeks left (hopefully less?) till the boy makes his appearance. I'm so much more eager to meet him than I was when pregnant with Lucy. I suppose we now know a bit more how this LOVE works, and are eager to put a feeling to a face! Lucy continues to get excited daily about her baby brother. Usually this is the daily run down:
First thing in the morning, she's shocked AGAIN: "Your tummy is so so big with my baby brother inside", or my new favorite "your tummy is awful big for such a small grown up". that one almost sounds like a compliment!!

During breakfast: now HER tummy has a baby brother in it too, so: "I need to drink more water, cause my baby brother is thirsty".

Afternoon mail check: (I've been doing a lot of online shopping!) "Is this for my baby brother? Awwww this is so cute!! I can't wait for my baby brother to wear this."

Bedtime: "Is my baby brother going to be borned today?"

I sure hope he lives up to her expectations!! A few co-workers warned/reminded me that I need to be sure and get Lucy a present that is FROM her brother when he is born. Good idea.

So speaking of work, our unit is having a garage sale to raise money for our "sunshine fund", which basically supports our staff during times of change, whether it's having a baby, retiring, surgery, etc. So, I'm taking the opportunity to "support" the fundraiser by cleaning out my closet!!! I worked all morning, and now Tim needs to do his side, but we've already got 6 big bags of clothes, books, bags etc. We might have room for a baby now! and I can walk into our "walk in" closet again!!

And continuing to speak of work, after 6 months of deliberating all the options related to working after this baby is born, hiring a new nanny (ours is almost done with school), the cost of 2 kids in day care, the stress of trying to balance working even per diem (1 day a week), not getting long enough maternity leave....I gave my notice!! May 10 is my last day, which leaves 6 more shifts. I felt so relieved when I finally made the decision, but I will miss the people I work with so much. There is such a spirit of community, helpfulness, understanding among my co-workers. I'll also miss the "ministry" aspect of my job, the families I help: There have only been a few times in my 11 years there that I have been hands-on "saving a life", during an acute event. Most of the time, I am one piece of the puzzle that brings health and restoration to a child and family. I've shed a few tears with and over some families. Most of the time it's simply that I was the first person to remind mom or dad to eat and actually bring them some ice water, some chicken noodle soup and a pillow. I've learned a million things: medical facts and treatment options from all members of my team, how to communicate better in stressful situations, how to love and give selflessly--but also how to accept help humbly. I am privy to some of the most sensitive information of people's lives, and have been honored to earn and uphold their trust.

My plan is to take a year off, see how everyone adjusts to this change, and then re-apply. Maybe I'll move on to another unit or clinic. Maybe it will turn into years before I am able to whole-heartedly return to this career. I'm proud of my 11 years there, and hope that I can be as good a parent as I was a nurse.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, big changes! So exciting that your new little man is almost here and that you have the chance to be with your kids full time. I'm sure if will be a bit strange to not being working as a nurse but being a mommy is such an amazing ministry just as nursing is... I saw you as an exceptional nurse so your kids are in very good hands. Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so excited for this new season you are entering! Transitions can be tough even when they are good, so praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my son was born, we gave a gift to my daughter and she picked out something for him. To this day, that Elephant is my 11 year old son's lovie and they always talk about the fact that she gave it to him when he was born. I found the second child to be so much easier and less stressful. I pray that for you, too.

    ReplyDelete