Oregon, July 2016

Oregon, July 2016

Friday, April 6, 2012

Adventures with Dora

The scene: I was in Lucy's bed, both of us sleeping. The Friday morning garbage trucks woke us up later than usual, slightly before 8. I heard Lucy say "Maybe my friend Dora is here?" I grunted. She said "Can you speak normally please? Maybe my friend Dora is here?!" (haha). I said "Oh" in my best "normal voice" possible!! She proceeded to climb over me, and take off her nighttime pull up. She needed help to put her jammie pants back on......"Because I have to go find my friend Dora downstairs". As I rallied myself to get out of bed, Lucy was already downstairs, and I could hear her calling "Dora, Dora where are you?!!!" In just a few minutes time, I made it downstairs. Lucy was sitting on the couch hands in her lap, with the saddest look on her face. "What's wrong?" "I asked all the people and I don't know where Dora is." (I'm trying hard not to laugh....Tim had already left for work, so...) "What people did you ask?" "Kai-Lan". (Kai-Lan is the chinese version of Dora). And sure enough, her Kai-Lan doll was sitting beside her looking almost as helpless as Lucy. She didn't cry, but we had several minutes of discussing the possibilities, asking if she meant the real Dora or the cartoon Dora (the REAL one of course!!) and of sitting in silence. "Well, can you tell me how I can help you?" She said very sadly: "Well, I guess you can play until Dora shows up". Luckily we had a full circle farms delivery to open, so she put away all the fruit and veggies, which seemed to cheer her spirits ever so slightly.

This whole imaginary friend thing is taking on new heights!!! I didn't think it was supposed to be so depressing!

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if she was dreaming when the trucks woke her up? So sweet. Good thing you are growing her a sibling to play with :)

    ReplyDelete