Lately she's been stuck in the "terrible twos" dilemmas. The I-do-it-myselfs, get stuck sometimes, she doesn't want help, direction or guidance (let alone discipline) and then the frustration sets in. It usually ends up in a throwing fit with some wild grunting that makes her sound like Curious George (that's being kind!!). This morning, just minutes after praise from herself and me alike for doing something herself, she got frustrated with Bert and Ernie (her figurines) for not cooperating with the choo choo train toy. Both got flung across the room as she kicked and grunted. (I know, you're shocked and you think I'm exaggerating about the darling angel!) Anyway, I told her, "You need to go say sorry to your friends". "NO!!" "Okay, well, they probably won't want to play with you next time." A few minutes later, on her own, she went and gathered them and said "Sorry Ernie....Sorry Bert". I looked up and she was smiling at me.
It's got me thinking....more than just "oh my goodness, how do I mold and shape a toddler???" (I take my hat off and more to people who adopt toddlers. What a difficult time of life in my opinion! One minute I'm laughing at her hysterical antics, and the next I'm about to explode out of frustration that I'm raising a brat...which leads to "how did we get here?"....which causes me to feel like a failure....then I'm crying....then Lucy comes and says "What's wrong Mommy?"...and then I love her to pieces again!!) So like I said, it's got me thinking. I know there's gotta be a spiritual lesson in there, I just can't tease it out right now. Any help on this one?
Here's a pretty picture while you ponder. My anniversary present from Tim. 4 years ago yesterday. Thankfully we get to go on a date tonight to celebrate. And rejuvenate. Do you see the tiny little card underneath the giant bouquet? It's a picture of 2 turtles, that Tim took when we were in Hawaii last year. When we aren't referenceing ourselves as ladybugs and giraffes, the sea turtle is a close 3rd choice! He sweetly said in the card that even during "rocky times" he'll be by my side. "Hopefully with a Mai-Tai in hand".

beautiful flowers!! Happy Anniversary - sorry my fb greeting was a day late!! I am so glad you made a date to go out and celebrate.
ReplyDeleteI have no words of wisdom on the terrible twos. Just sending good luck vibes your way!
BEAUTIFUL flowers and card--Happy Anniversary! I have been meaning to tell you how GORGEOUS your FB wedding photo is! I just happened across it the last time I checked FB. WOW--you are radiant!
ReplyDeleteAs for the toddler issue and some Godly lesson? I'm constantly reminded of how my relationship with my children and their bringing up and discipline is so like God and me ... He teaches me so much through my children. And I have to admit I'm a little brat sometimes throwing a fit and making "curious George noises" in his Godly estimation on things that don't go my way. HA!
You'll make it through ... and then there will be the next stage :-)
Hugs,
Valerie