Oregon, July 2016

Oregon, July 2016

Monday, August 15, 2011

"Dear God...Park!!"

This is Lucy's bedtime "prayer" every night now. We've prayed with her before bed for most of her life, and we always start out the way Tim prays, which is "Dear God..." Then we thank Him for the day's events, and pray for something or someone specific, always including Lucy's "good night's sleep"! Anyway, since she's been more verbal, we've included her in the praying action. She usually starts us off with the "Dear God." Then she doesn't quite know what to do. I would ask her what she's thankful for, or what she liked about the day. It always included the park (even if she didn't actually go that day!). So one night, she just started us right off with "Dear God...PARK!". I giggled, and agreed with her excitement. She just LOVES the park!!! If I ask her "anything else you are happy about?" she usually pauses and says "I don't know". Fair enough.

Here she is today at the park. I love her in her twirly skirt, kicking her ball, and the sun rays shining down on her!




Then 2 nights ago, she did her usual intro, and when I said "anything else?" she quickly added "I went poopy!" Haha! Poor girl, she WAS happy she went poopy, because ever since we started potty training, pooping is now an anxiety provoking event. She is acutely aware of all her body parts working or "it's not working" (as she sometimes claims when she sits down on her little potty)and what used to be a simple event done in the middle of playing with blocks, now is a 2 day crying, clinging, grabbing at her bum, and the "Help me Mommy" look on her face, even though she won't specifically ask for help. I know this is normal, and we haven't forced anything, and I let her choose if she wants a diaper or a potty, or whatever. But what I thought we had down in less than a week, has now gone a bit backward. I'm totally ok with that for now, but I want to help instill confidence and skill. My favorite proof that she has no lack of self esteem, was after one successful time on the potty, she announced that she was "awesome" and gave herself a big thumbs up!! That and like 5 stickers for her sticker chart!

Any tips from the parents? We've been all about praise and promoting good hydration. I've heard sneaking bran in her food...but I have no idea how to do that!

1 comment:

  1. Acacia Powder is good for that. It's a small white powder that you can mix into juice, just 1/2-1 tsp in the morning and at night. We have to use that for one of our kids who has poopoo troubles and it helps keep things moving.

    ReplyDelete