Tim planned this trip to the Big Island for months, researching so many various aspects of where to stay, potential itenerary, etc. My biggest desire was to snorkle, and we couldn't do that without some help, so Tim's sister and family met us there. Anna doesn't swim so it seemed a mutually beneficial system that Lucy and Anna could entertain each other while we all looked at fishies. In the end that is how it worked, but it took us a while to get to that point. One factor was she was scared to death of the snorkel and mask!! (You can see why!)

Another factor was she was off kilter with her sleep and was getting cumulatively sleep deprived which led to extra clingyness to mom much of the time. (I have to add here that she did awesome on the plane going down, but does not like sleeping outside of her OWN comfy crib!!) The third factor was that she just takes a little while to get used to new people. She did finally let Anna play with and hold her!

We went to a luau, thanks to the Cranfords for "forcing it on us"! I was doubtful since it was over 3 hours, but it was one of those things you "have to do" in Hawaii. Lucy was soooo good. Entranced by the dancers, and ate her giant bowl of fried rice! We sat at a table with 4 strangers, and they were so impressed with her fork-to-mouth, hand-eye coordination!! The staff took our picture beforehand and we actually paid their highway robbery price for it since we all looked so good!!

In case you can see the bumps and gash on her forehead in that picture...yes, she had a rough morning that day. Under the watchful eye of Daddy, who really is EXTRA careful with her, and stays within centimeters of her whenever there is any potential danger...Lucy decided to climb over the couch. She was sitting there calmly, he turned around to pick up a book, and she took a diving plunge over the arm of the couch (much higher than the sitting part), falling head first onto the baseboard trim. What a delightful time that was. Tim felt terrible, I was mad that I couldn't take 5 min to do something else....etc. But in reality, these things happen! I said outloud if we survive this trip without an ER visit it will be a miracle!
The reason I was at my wits end was the day before we had another potential health crisis. (This was only Tuesday people....we still had several days left!) We took a snorkel cruise out about an hour boat ride each way to get out and see some "purty fish". It seemed like a good idea when we were booking the tickets online, with all the purty pictures. Well, we underestimated that time it took to drive there, so we called the boat, and they waited 8 minutes for us as we ran down the hill from our car to the boat dock. Snorkel gear flying, me with baby on my hip...(no time to strap on the ergo carrier), a boat full of people watching us! Great start. As soon as I get on the boat, I think, "What have we done?!" Mostly adults, and the flimsiest railings ever...If Lucy doesn't fall off this deck and into the ocean, it will be another miracle. She was the only child under like 8 that I could see. Bad mother. Luckily, in our haste we did bring the life jacket Tim bought specifically for her (smart daddy). We weren't sure if she would tolerate it for the whole 3 hours, so I waited until she got squiggly. It was so hot, she and I escaped to the bar area. I found a spot to sit, near the snack mix. I thought this would be a good distraction, have a snack, play with them in a cup, etc. Here we are, looking ever so happy, right?!
Well, the short of it...after Lucy ate a rice cracker, I realized there were peanuts and almonds in it. We already know that Lucy is allergic to peanut butter, and the last 4 times we've attempted to try again, her rash reaction got worse, with welts going up her face. Never respiratory. Well, as soon as I saw the nuts in the mix, I thought that was a bad idea to give it to her. Within a few seconds, she started grabbing at her ears with an uncomfortable look, and then rubbing her eyes, and when I turned her around, the red welts around her mouth started up. I washed her hands, but it was too late. Her right eye was swollen, welty and looking worse than ever. Tim showed up (he was out in the sun), and I told him to ask a crew member if they have any benadryl. I was just worried about the almonds (my sister is very allergic to almonds, and I don't think Lucy has ever had anything with almonds), and the fact that each time seemed to get worse, maybe this was THE big time?? Which I wouldn't care so much, except we are out in the middle of the ocean!!! We hosed her off, literally with the fresh water hose, which got a lot of attention from passengers and the rest of the crew. Next thing I know physicians were coming over to check on us. Nothing a doctor could do without an epi-pen, which the boat didn't have!! Oh, the boat only had some topical benadryl, which I applied after the hosing off. The hosing itself did help, and the benadryl gave me something to do to feel better. By the time we got to the "park and snorkel" part, she was almost back to her normal self. Enough for me to feel safe to go snorkeling even. Having an allergic reaction was a great time killer, that's for sure. Ha, here I was worried about her drowning....wasn't thinking about anaphylaxis!! Here's a photo of Lucy on the way back (notice the life jacket). Good as new.
The rest of our trip seemed so uneventful in comparison, hardly worth describing! We saw plenty of turtles: I almost stepped on one getting into the water via a boat ramp, one ran into Kevin's leg while he was out snorkeling! I preferred seeing them like this, safely sleeping at a distance! They look much scarier when they are chomping on food and the wave is rushing you towards their open mouths!!
Tim keeps asking me if we are going to be like those turtles...old and holding hands. I suppose....as long as we can lay on the beach like that!
So the item in my memorial box is the only souvenir we brought back from Hawaii, the lei of shells we got at the luau. I'll look at that and remember how thankful I am that Lucy did so great all the times we NEEDED her to, that we had the blessing and privilege to vacation with family (Anna, Kevin and Caleb), that God kept us out of the ER, and that Tim, my little turtle husband, WANTS to grow old with me and hold my hand in this journey God has given us. If God wants us to retire early on the beaches of Hawaii...who am I to argue?! :-)

No comments:
Post a Comment