Oregon, July 2016

Oregon, July 2016

Friday, December 11, 2015

"He didn't bring my friends"



In hindsight, I might have done more to prevent my kids from truly believing in Santa. Lucy had a somewhat upsetting experience a few years back, over a Santa mishap, and now Henry has had a misunderstanding!!

We had a Christmas party at our house, with old work friends and their kids. It's an annual thing, and each child brings a gift for someone else about their same age. It works out great, and surprisingly every one is happy at the end of the night. Unless you're Henry!

For the first few days of December, Henry would ask in the morning and at bedtime: "Is it Christmas?" "Is it still Christmas?" I kept explaining that advent season lasts a while, and it peaks on Christmas day. That we anticipate and celebrate all month long in our house. (In toddler talk of course!) Lucy fills in the gap about Santa, the requisite list writing and general kid expectations that I wouldn't have chosen to add, but I sort of passively follow along. So she "helped" Henry write a list for Santa. This included 4 of the "Planes" characters that he doesn't already have. Of late Henry has been lining up all his airplane toys he has (including the "Planes" characters that he does own) and saying they are his friends. My friends this, my friends that. The fact that he has personified these toys make it extra special that he has asked Santa for "his friends". (or I guess MORE s friends!)

So all day, while we were prepping for the Party, Henry was asking about his present. I told him the kids would exchange gifts tonight. I should have had better radar when he asked if Santa was bringing his present. I guess I didn't take the time to fully investigate, but just said, no, Santa's not coming tonight.

Fast forward to Present Exchange at said party. 2 year olds go first, then 3 & 4 year olds, then 6 & 8 year olds. The gift Henry picked (or was assigned) was wrapped in "Cars" paper. (That's almost "planes" right??!) While all the kids were yelling and excited to receive their gifts, Henry had "the look". He had opened his gifts, but wasn't happy. When I made eye contact, he stood up, told me they weren't his friends, and ran into the other room!! I finally got to him and with some pulling of teeth and mom wisdom, I realized he thought Santa had brought these gifts, and it made absolutely no sense to him that "Santa didn't bring my friends". He wasn't in full meltdown, but he was so sad. What he did get was a Mr and Mrs Potato-head, which is awesome because we've never had one of those, and a Christmas book, which is double thumbs up in our house!! Of course I re-explained and focused on the joy. Finally by bedtime he was willing to look at the toys, and by the next day he was carrying potato-head eyes and arms around as treasures.

I kind of don't like the whole Santa shenanigans, but Lucy started it with her absolute joy and wonder of all that is imaginary, and seriously, anyone who tries to tell me that I should have told her flat out years ago that it was all a farce....well, you do not know this child!! And so we do our best to keep Santa magical and mysterious while still keeping Jesus at the forefront of our Christmas Joys. But I'm telling you now. If we have one more "issue" regarding Santa, the fat guy is getting outed! PS please don't tell your kids to tell my kids any specific truths!

No comments:

Post a Comment