Oregon, July 2016

Oregon, July 2016

Thursday, December 6, 2012

I want, I want, I want

The other day while shopping at Target, Lucy was really starting to drive me crazy by saying "I want that....I need that....I want that..." about everything, even if she didn't know what it was. I kept telling her we had a list of things we were buying, for OTHER people, and that Advent season is a time for WAITING. (I've built in other opportunities to discuss the lessons of waiting and anticipating, but she usually just laughs at me. It's a work in progress). Anyway, not two minutes after I told her not to say "I want" something one more time or we're leaving the store....when I absent-mindedly reached for something and said "I want that....". !!!! In my defense I think it was for something benign like stocking hangars or something I kind of "needed", but I instantly heard myself and wished I could bite my tongue right off. Like Mother like Daughter!! Oopsie.

I've been seeking opportunity to teach Lucy about generousity, waiting, greed (not having it!) and of course what the real reason for Christmas is all about. I delight in giving her presents, and knowing what she wants before she even asks, but I don't want her ripping thru those presents, just eager to get to the next one, or expecting to get more than she got. This concept of me thinking that I know what she wants before she asks for it, is of course a Scriptural concept. We are told to pray for our wants and needs, even though God knows what we want, and what is best for us. But I imagine He is happier when we pray for others, to seek ways that we can help make other people happy. I am always delighted when she offers a toy to Henry without me asking her to. When she looks out for his best interest. Even when she defends her daddy against me, or vice versa. It is the beginning concepts of putting others ahead of herself. I hope.

We sponsored 2 kids from our favorite orphange in China again this year. My friend Valerie who does so much volunteer work for New Day Foster Home, and has sewn many a dress for Lucy Mei (Ruffled Feathers....see my side bar for a link), provided these buttons to post to spread the word about sponsorship at New day.
All the kids did get sponsored (x3) and each of the staff members too! If you're looking for a unique gift to give someone that already has everything, it's not too late to make a donation to New Day Foster Home, where there are several ways to bless. Anyway, we did send gifts for "Lucy in China" (as not to be confused with Lucy Mei), and Matthew, along with 2 staff members. Lucy did help pick gifts for them which makes it a bit more tangible. But her generousity is fleeting. I can't honestly say that mine is any more steadfast.

I want this time of advent to be more than snowmen and arts and crafts and cookie parties. Sure it is wonderful to soak in the holiday themes and parties, and Lucy is already a wonderful hostess. But I am praying for peace, for wisdom, for guidance and teachability....for opportunity to go out of our way to help someone, or even to put a dollar in the salvation army bucket. That I would bite my tongue, and that grace would be a two way street in this house! Happy Advent!

No comments:

Post a Comment