Oregon, July 2016

Oregon, July 2016

Monday, November 22, 2010

"You can read along with me...."

I was at the Hallmark store the other day buying a few Christmas ornaments. (Side story: I think I've mentioned before how every year, my friends Sarah and GinnyRae and I exchange a Christmas ornament along with a scrapbook page describing why the ornament is meaningful for the year. This is year 11, and we have such great memories of this! Now, I've added Tim and Lucy to the yearly celebration, including the scrapbook page. I already bought Lucy's ornament: a Curious George reading a book, while sitting on a stack of books!! This is so accurate for her this year! She has really picked up her liking of books, including "reading" on her own some of her favorites. It is definitely her favorite activity...in between being a monkey of course! Climbing up and down the stairs, the furniture, etc, not to mention her first animal sound was the "ahh ahh" part of the "ooh ooh ahh ahh" of the monkey! Done!)

Anyway, at the checkout they asked if I would like to donate a dollar to send recordable books to the troops who are overseas. Parents can record their voices reading the story, and then send the book back for their child(ren) for Christmas. OH MY GOSH. YES!!!! I gave more than a dollar, but regretfully, not as much as I could have. I nearly teared up as I let my mind linger for more than one second on the idea of how special it is to read a book with your child. My heart broke (again) for the parents who give up times with their children, voluntarily or by force....to serve their country, to go to jail, to serve others.... for many reasons that are beyond my understanding. I just know that if Tim or I could not be with Lucy for any longer than a weekend (let alone a YEAR that many of our service men and women do), that receiving a book that she could hear our voice reading....would just be so special!!

So, I have a few more ornaments to buy, I'll be heading back to Hallmark, and I'll give a bigger donation. Maybe even buy one of those books so that Tim can record the story for Lucy. If you enjoy reading a story with a child, consider heading down to your local Hallmark store and see if they are collecting for the cause....and give a dollar! You'll be glad you did. :-)

1 comment:

  1. I loved that idea too. So neat! I look forward to having my parents record one for our kids one day! Special keep sakes, special memories.

    ReplyDelete